What it is like having 'Chase' for a name

I called in a pizza order the other day to Papa's Murphy's for pick up. The girl on the other line asked me for my name.

"Chase."

"okay," then she told me, "I spelled it C-h-a-s-e."

Why would she be telling me how she spelled my own name. I know how to spell my name. It isn't as if I have a difficult sounding name. She didn't ask my name and I said to her, "Juaqin" or "Philandergrabblejunker." My name is a verb in the dictionary. It's not hard.


And why would it matter if she spelled it wrong anyway?

"I'm here to pick up a bacon chicken ranch pizza I called in."

"Is it for Chase?"

"Well it should be but you just pronounced my name with the wrong spelling. You see my name is Chase, spelled c-h-a-s-e and you just said Chase, spelled c-h-a-i-s. So there's no way that identical order for a name that sounds just like mine phonetically but spelled wrong can be mine."

- - -

It also sucks having a verb for a name in general. It gives unfunny people the inspiration to attempt humor at my expense. As if I'm asking for it with a name like this.

"Hey, I bet you chased all the girls in high school, huh? Heh heh."

Well, yeah.

But  I also raped them. You know?





Enter your email address:




Subscribe in a reader

No comments: