Richard Gere apologizes for 'obcsenity'



Richard has been under fire from the "very small, right-wing, very conservative political party" over his recent public display of affection with Bollywood actress, Shilpa Shetty during an HIV/AIDS Awareness event in India. A judge in Jaipur even went so far as to issue an arrest warrant for both Gere and Shetty for violating the country's obscenity laws.

Gere released the following statement to the Associated Press today:

"What is most important to me is that my intentions as an HIV/AIDS advocate be made clear, and that my friends in India understand that it has never been, nor could it ever be, my intention to offend you. If that has happened, of course it is easy for me to offer a sincere apology."

The media is mistakenly reporting this as Gere's public apology to India but pay close attention to that last line. "If that has happened, of course it is easy for me to offer a sincere apology." All you have here is Gere announcing to AP that it would be easy for him to offer a sincere apology, if that's what he chose to do. When in fact, he's sticking to his guns and NOT apologizing just as he shouldn't.

No comments: