MPAA ratings are fine, parents need revamping

Parents and filmmakers are dissatisfied with the Motion Picture Association of America's current movie rating system. The apparent problem is that movies like "Sideways" and "Saw" both have an R rating even though one of the movies contains extremely violent and grotesque images (hint: not 'Sideways'). Parents are growing concerned with the amount questionable material making its way into PG-13 rated films and would like the MPAA to introduce new ratings.

The proposed ideas are to include a new PG-15 or PG-16 and Hard-R movie ratings to give parents a better guideline as to what is suitable for their children. Let me apply some reasoning here. According to the MPAA, "Sideways" contains adult language, strong sexual situations and nudity and "Saw" contains grisly violence and strong language. As a parent, I know right away by reading those ratings, that I don't want my children to see either one. But what about the PG-13 ratings? Why are they containing more and more innuendos and words good parents consider inappropriate?

Filmakers never want an NC-17 rating because that equals box office death and horrible sales. The same can almost be said for the R rating. PG-13 however is golden. After a movie is made it is eventually reviewed by the MPAA, at which point they may slap on the R rating. The production company behind the film can then go through an appeals process in order to negotiate a PG-13 rating instead. Typical Hollywood politics. What is a parent to do?

Last summer, I watched the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy (PG-13, epic battle sequences and some scary images) with my son who is 7. I had previously seen these films and was aware of when I might need him to close his eye or look away. What I'm saying is that I parentally guided him through the movie. I think it is about time for parents to stop planning family movie night around which movies they would rather see and more around what is best for their child. You're a grown up now. Figure it out.



Suggested Reading: 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die

No comments: