Autism Awareness Month: What my son can('t) eat

This is not Noah, but it IS a boy with some food. So, close.
One of the first things I learned about Autism was that often times, a child's diet has to be changed - drastically.

When my son Noah was still young enough to breast feed (before he was diagnosed with Autism) we found out that he was allergic to milk. My wife tried to stop eating dairy products, but it didn't seem to be working. We switched him to special dairy free formula - but still - his stool contained mucous, sometimes it was bloody, and he always seemed to be in pain. Gross, I know - but this is how it was. Eventually, it was discovered that Noah had an allergy to Casein. A milk protein, and it can be found basically in every single food that isn't fresh cut meat or fresh picked fruits and vegetables.

Noah was fortunate to grow out of that allergy and was eventually able to eat casein foods again (dairy, and everything you use dairy to cook or bake with) - but the problems didn't stop there. Turns out that many (if not most) children with Autism have what is called a Food Sensitivity. Instead of a typical physical reaction to a particular food (rash, swelling, stool problems) these reactions are more peculiar, harder to track, and have the propensity to drive you insane.

My Autism Awareness Month series continues with What My Son can('t) Eat Day 2.

Check this out:
 















2 comments:

elizabethchannel said...

Yes, they do, and keeping track of food sensitivities is a full time job honestly. But it so, so can make all the difference at times. Thanks for shedding light on this.

Chase Roper said...

I agree. It was really hard work and I've felt really guilty not keeping it up, although my son is doing SO much better. It makes me wonder though if he would be doing even better if I got us all back on track.