Teaser for my Comedy Boot Camp Journal piece at PunchlineMagazine.com

I started this journal four days ago when I signed up for an intensive comedy workshop at the Jon Lovitz Comedy Club in Los Angeles. I hoped to not only learn more about the comedy industry and how to focus my comedy writing in the direction I want, but also to gain a better understanding of how today’s headlining comics think and identify what common thread they share.


My nerves are racing as I awkwardly make my way to the stage. Clenching the mic stand with my shaky palms, I attempt to adjust the height - too high. I lower it and speak into the tiny metal dome.
No sound.
Crap, I’m stepping on the mic cord and have pulled it out completely. Frank is going to yell at me. From the back of the room, one tall gangly man is yelling. “It’s okay, we’ll just start over!” It’s Chris Porter. Great, now Chris Porter thinks I suck.
If the audience decides everything they need to know about me within the first three seconds that I’m on stage, then they must think I am nervous, un-confident and afraid.
~
Heading to LA
I’m at the airport trying to avoid saying “hi” to Dartanion London - a Seattle comic who is also headed to the Boot Camp. I don’t want him to know that I’m boarding first class. I’ll feel like an asshole.
Landed safely and am now in the car with Billy Lyday and his wife. Billy is a comic I interviewed for the magazine a couple years ago. He and his wife are moving to Miami where he hopes he will have better luck booking sets in a less competitive market than Los Angeles. There is something to be said about trying to be the big fish in a little pond.
Finally, time for sleep. I am at Kevin Cease’s apartment mentally preparing myself for tomorrow. Another student, Mikey 2 Shoes, is laying in Kevin’s living room as well. I’m assuming that his moniker stems from the fact that he wears both one orange and one black colored Converse All-Star shoe. Two Shoes is like a genetic combination of Richard Lewis and Dennis Leary but who also had his talent stolen from him like Charles Barkley in Space Jam. Once he defeats an alien basketball team, 2 Shoes will be a force to be reckoned with. That aside, he might be one of the most entertaining individuals I know.

Read the entire piece at Punchline Magazine!




Enter your email address:




Subscribe in a reader

No comments: